Sunday 27 February 2011

The Mistress

The Mistress is the most intriguing character of the bunch and so I thought I'd leave her until last. (I have also missed out on The Wild One, but that is because most of my work on that is in the studio still, up on a wall) The Mistress has a very scary air to her, she is what is binding them all together and what is keeping them in the "cage". Because of my concept, that they are all in a psychiatric ward under some trail or test, I have designed The Mistress to be a ward nurse or a doctor of some kind. The uniform gives her an instant authority over the other characters as we all recognise a doctors uniform and instantly make the link to power in our heads. I used a raven as my inspiration, because I think they carry connotations of cunning and darkness. I also elongated the legs in my design as I want to further enhance the feeling of superiority by having the Mistress on stilts.
Raven  - The inspiration

 Initial body pose sketch

 Final Design  - Watercolour, pencil, pen and Chalk pastel

Final Design - Back and Side view

And that concludes the breakdown of my Cagebirds designs. I hope that I've been clear and it's fairly easy to understand!
Thanks again, 'til next time
Sal XX

No comments: