Wednesday 16 February 2011

The Regular Thump

The Thump is the character that initiates the murder at the end of the play, and the one who actually carries it out whilst the other watch. This, along with her speech, made me think of her as an angry, slightly aggressive character who feels the need to shout to get herself heard. She seems to like being in control of the situation and sees herself as the leader of some revolution, as it were, though what she is revolting against seems to be entirely in her head. It is for this reason that I chose a Woodpecker as her bird counterpart. They make a lot of noise to make themselves heard though many don't really understand why they are doing it.

Pileated Woodpecker

 Body Pose done in 4B pencil

 Final Design - Watercolour pencil, chalk & pen

Final Design - Side & Back View

Unfortunately, the proportions of this design make the character look almost childlike, which was not my intention and something I definitely need to watch in future. I gave her a military twist as it seems to me she would be very regimented and organised, with a very protective nature and I think this look suited the character.
Thanks again for taking a look,
Sal XX

No comments: